The History of Alcad in    Redditch 1918 - 1993
Alcad  History is part of my Explore Redditch group of websites                Designed, maintained and administered by Anthony Green
Hunt End The Hunt End site was acquired in 1918 and production began in 1920. They manufactured only the nickel-cadmium batteries based on the Swedish Nife technology.
Union Street - Beginnings Britannia Batteries began in 1929 in Union Street manufacturing lead acid, dry cells, nickel-cadmium and nickel-iron cells. It had a disastrous fire during WW2 but the workforce had the factory up and running again very quickly and both the Union Street and Hunt End works did much for the war effort. In 1947 both sites were merged to become Alkaline Batteries Ltd operating from the Union Street Site
Union Street - Full Ahead! From the end of the second world war the Redditch factory expanded and introduced many new products. It was a time of innovation and change. However, following two changes of ownership the Redditch site ceased to operate in 1993, bringing to an end 75 years of alkaline battery manufacture in Redditch.
From Closure to the Present Time The Redditch site was closed in 1993 and new development began in 2002 when B&Q opened a new warehouse. This was followed by further developments.
The History of Alcad    in Redditch    1918 - 1993
Hunt End The Hunt End site was acquired in 1918 and production began in 1920. They manufactured only the nickel-cadmium batteries based on the Swedish Nife technology.
Union Street - Beginnings Britannia Batteries began in 1929 in Union Street manufacturing lead acid, dry cells, nickel- cadmium and nickel-iron cells. It had a disastrous fire during WW2 but the workforce had the factory up and running again very quickly and both the Union Street and Hunt End works did much for the war effort. In 1947 both sites were merged to become Alkaline Batteries Ltd operating from the Union Street Site
Union Street - Full Ahead! From the end of the second world war the Redditch factory expanded and introduced many new products. It was a time of innovation and change. However, following two changes of ownership the Redditch site ceased to operate in 1993, bringing to an end 75 years of alkaline battery manufacture in Redditch.
From Closure to the Present Time The Redditch site was closed in 1993 and new development began in 2002 when B&Q opened a new warehouse. This was followed by further developments.
Site in 2010 (Bing Maps view)